We are very active, the following describes some of our participations:
- a) Purchased supplies for 130 grade 1 to 4 students in two schools adopted by our troops in Bosnia,
- b) Obtained materials and sent them to our troops in Golan Heights, Bosnia and other missions, to help them celebrate Canada Day,
- c) Attended CFB Gagetown's 40th Anniversary ceremony on 1st July 1998,
- d) On a yearly basis we participate:
- 1. In Canada Day parades in Oromocto and Fredericton. In 1999 the Peacekeeping Float placed 3rd in the Oromocto Parade. In 2000 we placed 2nd in both areas, and in 2001 placed 1st in Oromocto.
- 2. By providing Color Party and members for Remembrance Service in local High School.
- 3. As a separate unit in the Remembrance Day parade, and lay a wreath for Peacekeepers,
- e) Have a yearly Reunion, which includes a Meet & Greet, meeting and Mixed Dinner, attendance has been very good. It has been noted some of the members had a great opportunity to re-acquaint with comrades they hadn't seen for many years and made new friend, a good time was had by all,
- f) Have a newsletter titled "Helmet Liner Gazette",,
- g) On an ongoing basis we pass the word on to Veterans of United Nations Peacekeeping Missions about the Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal (CPSM),
- h) Designed a Certificate to go with the CPSM medal and is available to members at no extra cost by just indicating as to when and how the medal was presented.
- I) Making Peacekeeping presentations to interested groups who wish to know more about what our soldiers encounter while on United Nations Peacekeeping Missions.
- j) On 25th June 2004, Premier Bernard Lord, Premier of New Brunswick, signed a Proclamation Declaring the 9th of August as "Peacekeeping Memorial Day" for the province of New Brunswick, the fifth province in Canada to do so.
- k) On 9th August 2004 members of The Blue Helmets participated in the first provincial "Peacekeeping Memorial Day" ceremony to be held in Fredericton NB and will continue doing so on a yearly basis,
- l) On 9th August 2005 Peacekeeping Memorial Day in Fredericton NB and on 24th October 2006 the United Nations Anniversary in Oromocto NB we installed and dedicated a plaque on each of their Cenotaph in memory of Military and RCMP who have made the supreme sacrifice while serving on United Nations Missions and NATO operations.
In the Service of Peace and, for our Veterans
Fred LeBlanc, President
17 DeWitt Acres Fredericton, NB E3A 6S3 Phone: 1-506-472-3215